Tuesday, March 26, 2013

RNYGB Week 1 Update

Yesterday was one week since I had my Roux En-Y Gastric Bypass surgery at Roper St. Francis in Charleston, SC. I did a video post on my Youtube channel on the day of surgery and everyday after except for yesterday. Time just got away from me! You can see those in the right side bar of this blog, or head on over there and subscribe. The playlist is named just like this blog, "Goodbye, Fat Kat!." So I'll give you an update today of the entire week. Surgery day went by quickly, for me, that is. My husband tells it differently. We had to be at the hospital at 10:00 am. I waited in the waiting area for approximately half an hour and I was called back to be prepped. I weighed in that morning at 321. My husband, mother, grandmother, pastor's wife, and another sweet lady from my church came in and everyone- including my anesthesiologist's team and OR nurses had prayer. That was awesome. My AN gave me what she called "I don't care juice." That's all I remember until I woke up in recovery, coughing like I had fluid in my lungs. I remember blurry people all around me pulling on me and taking an X-ray of my chest, and when they decided everything was okay, I was taken to my room. My mother-in-law came to see me, I vaguely recall. They tried to get me to walk that night. I made it to the door, and got sick, and then came Zofran and Phenegrin every hour, and sleep. I woke up the next morning at 5 a.m. and made a video for Youtube. I stayed in the hospital until Thursday. Tuesday I started two ounces of blue Powerade every hour and ice chips here and there. I'm still drinking Powerade, twenty ounces a day, for the first two weeks. It'll help to detect a leak in my pouch by looking for blue in my Blake drain. Wednesday was great. I felt like super woman. I got five ounces of fluids every hour, one can of boost over the course of the day via my g-tube, and three pureed meals. I wasn't able to eat dinner. I was too full. Thursday I was ready to go home, but I got sick that morning and couldn't drink or eat like I was supposed to. By noon I was feeling better, and Dr. Mitchell decided I could go home, although he suggested I stay another day. I went home. I spent the second half of Thursday in the recliner sleeping. I did okay on Friday, and even better on Saturday. Sunday was the worse day ever. I got up and showered, took my Lovenox injection, and changed my wound dressings- same as every other day since I've been home. I had half of a scrambled egg. At noon, my dad had cooked a smoked picnic, mac and cheese, green beans, and rice and gravy. I opted for ham and beans. I pureed the ham and green beans. I ate slowly, and I felt fine at first. About an hour later, I realized the ham was a big mistake. It got stuck and stayed stuck until 10 that night, and I had hard violent painful vomiting. After a dose of pain meds, I felt much better. Yesterday, I went out of the house for the first time and spent some time at my mother in law's house. I did good! I stayed out a little longer than I would have liked, but I'm fine. Today I'm trying to get in all my fluids because I haven't managed that since Saturday. I'm feeling full all the time. I'm finding soft foods easier to eat. Just because it's pureed doesn't mean it'll agree with me. I assumed as long as it was pureed it was okay. I love imitation crab meat. It's the easiest to eat. Scrambled eggs are easy too. Tomorrow I have a nutrition class with my dietician, and I know she won't be please with what I've been taking in because it isn't enough. I have lost eight pounds this week. I'm going to make Friday my weigh in day. I think I'm doing good, I could be dong better. But, there you have it. If you have any suggestions regarding posts, or anything in particular you'd like me to go into more detail, just let me know, as well as any questions you might have. Head over to my Youtube channel and subscribe. I think you'll like it. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Please keep your comments positive and polite. :)