Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pre Op Surgery Class

I had my pre operative surgery class last night! It was great. I learned a great deal about the Roux en-y gastric bypass procedure and a lot about Dr. Mitchell's approach as well. I soaked it up like a sponge, but could still only retain so much, so I was very happy with all the information they sent me home with.

If you have had the bypass, please read on, you may or may not be able to relate with my surgeon's approach. If you haven't had the bypass and you are considering it, I think you will find this post very helpful.

Let me start with saying I am very pleased with the surgeon I've chosen. What I learned last night alone put him miles ahead of other surgeons as far as post op care and complication prevention and detection. My surgeon is Dr. Kenneth Mitchell. He practices at Roper St. Francis Hospital in Charleston South Carolina. He's done more than 1,700 RNY bypass procedures and has a 0% mortality rate, and a less than 1% complication rate. He's never had a pouch leak. He has a wonderful manner about him. He's polite, and straight forward.

The two biggest pieces of information that I'd like to share with you first are the Blake drain and the G-tube.

I'm certain most bypass patients have a Blake drain at some point after surgery. Not everyone goes home with them. Some go home with them for a few days and others for a couple of weeks. You can put me in the latter category. The Blake drain is the skinny tube that will come out of one of your incisions and into a little bulb like pouch near your waist. It has that nasty pinkish stuff in it. Here's where Dr. Mitchell's slightly different approach comes in: I'll have the Blake drain for two weeks. On the post op day one, I'll begin a two week regimen of one 20 oz. blue Powerade daily: 2 oz. an hour every hour. If I see blue in my Blake drain then I'll know there is a leak. Now you're asking, "what about dumping syndrome?" Drinking the Powerade slowly as instructed, 2 oz. an hour, will prevent the dumping syndrome while keeping a steady supply of blue fluid to my pouch for the leak test, as well as provide me with much needed electrolytes to ward off dehydration. I really like this idea. It'll give me peace of mind.

Why the G-tube? In case you don't know what it is, the G-tube is a feeding tube.  One end, the mushroom looking end, will be placed inside my "old" stomach through a small incision, the other end will be outside my body on the left side of my abdomen.
As you may know most bypass patients have a very hard time getting their water and protein in the first few weeks post operatively. This will help with that aspect of recovery. I can put water, protein shakes and even liquid pain meds through the tube. I'll have to use my new pouch for my pureed foods and blue Powerade.
Being able to get in adequate protein and water will help me heal more quickly and maintain a steady weight loss rate.
At my two week post op appointment, I'll have the Blake drain removed. At my four week post op appointment, I'll have the G-tube removed. From what I understand it doesn't hurt so much as it feels weird. I'll stop using the G-tube one week before it's removed. Dr. Mitchell calls the drain and the tube our "training wheels."

For the first two weeks, we are to aim for 80-100 grams per day of protein and 800-1000 calories per day, as well as 80-100 ounces of fluids each day. We are to have 3 meals a day of 1 to 1.5 oz. of protein and 1 Tbsp. of a veggie or fruit. Two cans of Ensure or Boost every day as well as two protein shakes and one 20 oz. bottle of blue Powerade. See why I'll need the tube? At week three I'll be able to stop the pureed foods and Powerade and start soft foods. By the end of week three, I should be able to get in all my protein without the help of the G-tube.

I'm really excited about surgery. I have this huge handbook to pour through! I'll be doing that and five weeks from today we'll be submitting to insurance! In the meantime I'll be knocking out the rest of my pre op appointments, and shedding as many pounds as I can before surgery! I'll keep you all posted!!

Thanks for reading! Leave a comment or email me with any questions. You can find my contact info on the "About Me" page!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Please keep your comments positive and polite. :)