Saturday, February 2, 2013

RNY New Patient Class

I had my 3.5 hour information class on Monday, January 28th! It was great! I learned a lot about what to expect with the procedure that I've chosen, and my husband went with me and it's really helped him understand a lot more about it as well. Now, I want to share with you all what we learned!

I got a lot of papers, including the printout of a Power Point presentation they did, and a huge Bariatric Surgery patient handbook. I've already read it through and soaked it up! I'm going to read it again before surgery, though.

First I'll go over the presentation with you.
The purpose of the class was to prepare me for surgery, reduce my fears, and answer my questions. They did all very well. We talked about morbid obesity and the effects of Bariatric surgery. I found out about the Endoscopy procedure... I'm very nervous about that, because I've never done it before! I also have to do the "Half-Lytley" bowel prep. Yummy.

They gave us a list of things to bring to the hospital, and went over the agenda for the day of surgery. We were instructed on which entrance to use, what waiting area, how to read and understand the patient tracking board, the PACU recovery room, and when my family would be informed of how I am and what room I'm in.

We went over all three of the surgery options my surgeon offers as well as the differences between each one. Then we talked about what would be going on after surgery: I'll have to walk within four hours after surgery, I'll have a PCA pain pump, a FOLEY catheter, ice chips only, and incentive spirometer, compression boots, and oxygen.

On the second day, I'll have blood work done, be expected to walk four to six times, not allowed to sit longer than twenty minutes in one position, practice breathing, coughing, and turning, isometric exercises, incentive spirometer at least ten times an hour, I'll stop the pain pump and start pain medicine via G-tube.
My diet that day will consist of ice chips and blue PowerAde, and I should be able to have the catheter out.

On the third day at the hospital, post op day two, I should be able to have my IV capped, a shower, meds by mouth or G-tube, continue with my incentive spirometer and walking, changing positions every twenty minutes, and I'll get my discharge education.

On the fourth day in the hospital, post op day three, I should be able to go home!! I'll have follow ups at two, six and twelve week intervals, and then at six months, and annually there on out. Dr. Mitchell requires all of his patients to be out of work for four weeks with NO exceptions. Not only to heal, but to adjust properly to the new way of eating and so on.

We also talked about potential complications, and what to watch for as far as problems go. I found out that I'll have a Blake drain for two weeks and a G-tube for four. I'll have to drink one 20 ounce Blue PowerAde every day, 2 oz. per hour. That is to help me check for a leak in my new pouch. If I see blue in my Blake drain, I'll know to call the office. The G-tube will be to my old stomach. I'll use it to help me get all my fluids and nutritional and protein drinks in. It's to make sure I get everything I need in the first few weeks as well as prevent dehydration. Dr. Mitchell calls the tube and drain training wheels.

We talked about dizziness and hair loss, dumping syndrome, altered bowel habits, and lack of hunger. They covered birth control and pregnancy as well as letting us know we'd never be able to donate blood again. We talked about the possibility of vitamin deficiencies and nutrition guidelines. They went over the Pre-Op diet with everyone and protein supplements. I got a great sheet with the popular brands of whey isolate powders and their nutritional values. I tried to scan it so you could see it but my stupid printer is being stupid! Redundant? I'm aware. I learned about what vitamins to take now and what vitamins I'd be taking post operatively. I was told to stop vitamin E, Ginkgo, and fish oil at least two weeks prior to surgery.

I was really excited to finally have some tangible diet goals for post op at home. I found out that on post op day two, day three in the hospital, I'll begin pureed foods. And for two weeks I'll aim to have three meals a day each consisting of 1 to 1.5 oz. of a protein, and one tablespoon of a vegetable or fruit. On top of that I need 80 - 100 ounces of fluid, and two cans of Ensure or Boost, and two protein shakes.

Weeks five and six I can start soft foods, and week seven I can start normal foods, with no bread, rice, or pasta until six months. My meals should NEVER be more than half a cup, and I am supposed to eat five to six times a day. I was given lots of information regarding eating. How often to eat, how much to chew, not to drink before, during, or after meals, what beverages would be acceptable, and what foods will cause dumping.

They told me about soft food syndrome which is where you crave soft food to avoid feeling your restriction. I learned about the benefits of regular exercise as well.

After the presentation, I got a nice little stack of papers that included a checklist to aid in preparation for surgery, a protein supplement chart, office follow-up guidelines,and another copy of the pre-op diet.

All in all it was very informative! I love the information I brought home as well as a great Bariatric patient handbook! It goes in depth as far as what we can expect from our surgeon and the hospital staff, and after surgery.

If you have any questions, I'd love to answer them so email me: kathypitcher@rocketmail.com! Find me on RNYtalk.com, and myfitnesspal.com! Check out the video blog extension of this blog on Youtube!! Thanks for reading, and your comments are appreciated! Let me know you were here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Please keep your comments positive and polite. :)